1lb. of Yellowfin Tuna – Makes 4 Portions
Red onion: 30 gr
Garlic: 12 gr
Ginger: 12 gr
Sambal: 12 gr
Soy sauce: 72 gr
Canola oil: 72 gr
- Dice the onions and add them into a blender with the garlic and ginger and blitz until smooth.
- Add the sambal, the soy sauce and emulsify with the canola oil.
- Store in the fridge.
Rice vinegar: 150 ml
Chilli: 2 gr
Sugar: 150 gr
Saffron: 0.5 gr
Ginger: 30 gr
- In a small pot, bring into a simmer the vinegar, diced red chilis, the sugar and the saffron.
- Peel the ginger with a spoon and slice it on a mandolin as thin as possible.
- Pour the liquid over the ginger and let it cool naturally.
Daikon rolls: 12 pieces
Nori chips: 4 pieces
Chopped coriander: 2 tablespoon
GS apple brunoise: 100 gr
Red Shizo cress: 12 pieces
Coriander cress: 12 pieces
Pine nuts: 50 gr
- Slice a 4” long et 1.5” wide piece of daikon.
- Slice it on the mandoline to create a perfectly smooth side. On the thinnest setting, make a perfect ribbon with the daikon.
- Wrap the ribbons around your finger to create little tubes and place them on a rectangle box for service.
- Create in a mixing bowl a slurry, by adding water and rice flour together.
- In the deep fryer, drop the nori chips after they had a slurry bath and fry them until crispy.
- Season while hot and reserve on a paper towel to drain the excess fat.
Grany smith apple dice:
- Make a brunoise of apple and store in a lemon water mix to avoid the apple to oxidize.
- Wash thoroughly the coriander and dry it in a salad spinner.
- Chopped it finely and store it.
- Dice small pieces of the Yellowfin tuna.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, mix the diced tuna, chopped coriander, pine nuts, apple brunoise and couple spoon of the dressing.
- Create a perfect halo in a coupe plate, add the pickled ginger, 3 daikon tubes, coriander cress and the shizo on top of the halo.
- Break the nori into pieces and place them in the centre of the halo.
This recipe was provided by Chef Romain Avril, Owner of Romain Avril Inc, Ambassador, Teacher & Radio Columnist in Toronto, ON as part of my Instagram LIVE show Takin’ a Bite – Meet the…