You’re at your local butcher shop and you’re on a budget. You’re looking for a cut of beef with amazing flavour, texture and tenderness.
At this point you’re thinking — not going to happen!
Wrong! There are lots of cheaper cuts that when cared for offer all of the above.
Being a sous-vide aficionado, my go to now is are beef short ribs.
Well marbled and the ultimate in tender when cooked for a long time at an even tempeterature.
Here are my steps to making amazing 24 Hour Beef Short Ribs!
- Trim off any excess fat or silver skin.
- Season liberally and vaccum seal your short ribs. If you want to keep some for another meal, seal them individually, otherwise, several in one bag is fine.
- Preheat your sous-vide bath to 135F or 57.2C.
- Submerge for 24 hours!
- Be sure to check your sous-vide bath before bed or any extended absence as you don’t want the water levels to drop below the meat.
- Once your timer rings remove the bags and refrigerate those you won’t be eating at the moment.
- Cut open your bags, pat the short ribs dry and if you want you can simply separate the meat from the bone and sear or leave them whole.
- Serve on your favourite purée with a demi-glace or straight to the plate!